Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pujas in Hungary

It has been a while since I last blogged. In the mean time, I have covered my first module, and am almost through with my second module. The pressure of the course has not given me much time to think. However, I have had to take some time off in order to sort out some messes that were happening with my flat-mate.
It is important to understand each other when you come from two vividly different cultures. Why abroad? Take India as an example- East barely understands the West, and the North and South seldom meet. However, it takes time- especially when you are put into a situation where you have to deal with each other- at least the minimal requirements need to be met.
Now that all that is sorted, for the time being, I have had time to dwell on my being away from home. Do I miss home? No. Do I miss the people? Yes. Despite whatever misunderstandings I have with my dad, I miss him. I miss mom too, but at least we manage to speak a fair amount. On the other hand, one person who I used to speak to a lot at home, but can barely ever now, is my sister.
I miss my dogs as well. I miss cuddling the puppies, cribbing about feeding them and taking them out.
Perhaps all this has become more vivid for me for its the Pujas back in Kolkata right now.My friends, my family- all of them make my festivities come alive, no matter what. Whether it is just a five-rupee road-side chat, or a 5000-rupee dinner at the Taj, it doesn't make much difference- the fun and the bonding is not here, somehow. Perhaps it is because of the cultural differences, or perhaps it is because of the lack of familiarity.
I have some really amazing friends here- they are really nice, and have made me feel as comfortable as I could ever be- considering the fact that I am away from my partner and my family.
The only problem that I find is that I don't seem to have any commonality with them. I cannot bond with them as I would like to. Perhaps it is a little early in the day to decide, but I definitely hope it improves.

No comments: